About The College of Arts & Commerce
The College of Arts & Commerce was carved out of the combined Colleges of Arts, Science and Technology in the year 1966 with Prof. B. Sarveswara Rao as its first Principal in succession. The College has a total strength of 1894 full-time students and 200 Part-Time Students, 412 research scholars, 237 teachers and 140 administrative and supporting staff. It is the biggest constituent college of the University with a teacher student ratio of over 1:9.
The College has 28 departments organizing 50 courses covering disciplines like Commerce & Management Studies, Humanities, social and Behavioural Sciences, Arts, Languages and Education etc., The following departments of the College viz., The Department of Commerce and Management Studies; Department of Economics; Department of Cooperation and Applied Economics; Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies; Department of Social work and Department of Sociology have Special Assistance Programmes sanctioned by the UGC. In addition, there are also research and training Centres as part of the College, addressing the problems of management of resources and various other concerns of the economy and the society at large. The Centres include Agro-Economic Research Centre, Centre for Womens' Studies, SAARC Centre. Centre for Population Studies, Institute of Transport Management, Institute of Public sector Management and Institute for Yoga and Consciousness,Centre for Criminal Justice, Centre for Study of Social Exclusion and Inclusive policy, New Gandhian Studies Centre, etc.,
Several departments in the College made pioneering beginnings and significant contributions since their inception. For the first time in the country, the University started an Honours Course in Commerce in 1934, and MBA (Full-Time) Programme in 1957. The Department of Economics was the first in the country to start MA course in Mathematical Economics in 1944. Likewise, the Department of English was the first in the Country to introduce Indian Writing in English and American Literature as compulsory papers . MA programmes in Social work and Parapsychology were started at Andhra University for the first time in the Country in 1957 and 1967 respectively. Recently the University introduced a Ph.D. programme in Journalism which once again in the first of its kind in the Country. The Department of Audit and Continuing Education is working is working for the development of various skills required by the non-formal students.
Many faculty members of the Arts Colleges have made significant academic contributions both at the National and International levels. A number of former teachers of the Arts College like Prof. Srinivasa lyengar , Prof. K. Satchidananda Murty , Prof. K.V. Ramana , Prof. Y.C. Simhadri , Prof. K. Ramakrishna Rao , Prof. B. Sarveswara Rao , Prof. R.V.R. Chandra Sekhara Rao , Dr. M. Gopalakrishna Reddy, Prof.C.V.Raghavulu,assumed the Vice-Chancellorship of various Universities. Prof. K. Satchidananda Murty has been honored with Padmavibhushan , Dr. Y.Lakshmi Prasad with Padmasri by the Government of India . A few teachers of this Institution have been honoured with high positions in Government/Semi-Government organizations. Our alumni occupy prominent positions in several fields of activity both in India and abroad. Some teachers of the College have received Kendriya Sahitya Academy Awards.
Prof. D.Prabhakara Rao
©2014 Andhra University. All Rights Reserved. Send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org