The Department of Civil Engineering had its inception in the year 1955 as a section of the Engineering Department, a constituent campus college of the Andhra University colleges. It was elevated to the status of an individual department in 1969 and under the able and efficient stewardship of late Prof. K. Krishnamacharyulu (the Head from 1955 to 1980) it scaled to the present dizzy heights.
Postgraduate courses were started in 1963, with specialization in Structural Engg., Public Health Engg., when some of the faculty returned to the department after earning higher degrees from Universities in USA. Starting of PG courses in Hydraulics and Soil Mechanics followed later.
The Department as it exists today offers two specialization at BE level; Civil Engg., and Civil Environmental Engg., and six ME specialization and guidance for Ph.D. in all six specialization. Several teachers have won Best Teacher Award and Best Researcher Award, authored textbooks, chaired sessions at International conferences, Occupied position of Vice-chancellor in various Universities and also Directorship of IIT. Many students earned MS and Ph.D. degrees from prestigious universities in USA. The department is very active in industrial and technical consultancy and is an excellent source of income to the university.
Vision of the Department:
Short term Vision
- To possess and create knowledge capital to create job creators not job seekers.
- Motivate staff to make selfless and honest contribution for all-round development of students.
- Forecasting Industry-Institute interaction.
- To create/nurture talent for changing needs of the man power resources in the country.
Long term Vision
- To impart engineering practices for sustainable development.
- To remain at the fore front of scientific and technology development.
- To become an active contributor in the economic and infra-structural development of country.